Tigard Periodontal Disease Treatment
How We Treat Gum Disease
Our periodontist and expert staff in Tigard are specialized in treating more than just your teeth, but also address any signs or symptoms of periodontal disease, or more commonly known as “gum disease.” Our specialists at Progressive Periodontics have extensive experience and training in the field to help maintain and restore the foundation of your teeth.
Equipped with state-of-the-art dental equipment (eg. Periolase laser) and effective procedures to help treat any condition of periodontal disease, our gum professionals are certain that they can help with the supervision, maintenance, and rehabilitation of your periodontal health and in turn, overall wellness.
For more additional information about Tigard periodontal disease treatment, please give us a call at (503) 966-3780 today.
What is Periodontal Disease?
A bacterial infection damaging the supportive structures of gums and other tissues. Periodontal disease affects millions of Americans every year. Most often caused by plaque and tartar build-up, periodontal disease is progressive and is split into two major stages known as:
- Gingivitis – in its first and milder phase, gingivitis only affects the gums and is generally indicated by swelling, inflammation, or bleeding red gums during brushing or flossing your teeth.
Luckily, if treated early enough, this earlier stage of gum disease can be reversed.
- Periodontitis – This more destructive phase of periodontal disease can jeopardize your gum health and even your jawbone structure. When the accumulation of bacteria along the base of your gum line occurs, your immune system responds by tackling the build-up, slowly but surely eating away any gum tissue or bone in its pathway. The more gum tissue and bone structure that is lost, the greater the complications, which can include tooth loss, infected abscesses, and other serious health problems such as heart disease and gastrointestinal issues.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
- Gumline recession
- Bleeding gums
- Loose teeth
- Pus between teeth and gums
- Halitosis (chronic bad breath)
- Gangrene (decayed dental pulp)
- Overall health deterioration
What Causes Gum Disease?
Plaque is one of the most common causes of gum disease. However, there are other potential reasons why people become prone to the disease. Risk factors that may increase your chances of gum disease include:
- Tobacco and alcohol use
- Systemic diseases
- Certain medications and drugs such as cancer therapy medication, oral contraceptives, steroidal drugs, and anti-epileptic prescriptions
How is Periodontal Disease Treated?
Our competent team at Progressive Periodontics is committed to helping and treating every one of our patients with tooth loss prevention and improvement of their overall oral health. Whatever level of periodontal disease you find yourself dealing with, our compassionate and professional staff will work tirelessly to aid in repairing your gums and supporting tissues and bone structure.
The type of services for periodontal treatment provided at our office includes; Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) surgery and gum grafting, and for loose teeth unable to be saved, we also offer dental extractions and implants to replace and restore your smile.
Call our periodontal professionals today to help improve your overall oral health by calling (503) 966-3780!
“Dr. Thanik was amazing with my worrier child who needed a frenulum revision. I appreciate his care & call in the evening to see how he was recovering.”- Becky S
“Once I switched to Dr. Thanik for my care, everything changed for the better. I'm so grateful for him and his staff and all of their expertise, insight, encouragement, and guidance.”- Cyndia A
“Dr. Thanik has been an excellent dentist and I will be using him more in the future.”- Donald M
Progressive Equipment and Care
Start of the art equipment and technology to care for your gums and overall health.
Your Partner in Gum Health
We pride ourselves on being your partner and finding the treatment option that is right for you.
Experience Where It Counts
With more than two decades of experience, let us help you take care of your gums and teeth.
Trust the Experts
Don’t have a regular dentist do what a specialist is trained to do. Come to the experts for your periodontal needs.